After creating the movement AR1 and designing of his debut timepiece Steel Labyrinth, watchmaker Rönkkö wanted to create a complication of his own for the beast wandering the maze, Minotaur. The creation of Dual Moon Complication to show both the black moon and the full moon at the 12 o’clock opening perfectly highlights the bi-polar animal vs. human characteristics of the Minotaur.
The light Minotaur is a timepiece accompanying a customised swiss Soprod A10 movement in a stainless steel 316L case with in-house Dual Moon Complication to indicate both black moon and full moon. The Minotaur´s moon phase depicts the labyrinth´s everlasting struggle between good and evil. The focal points of design are sharp faceted talismans of the dark and light sides of the Minotaur chasing each other around the dial. The winning aspect always rotates to the top indicating the current moon phase. The dark beastly Minotaur rises before black moon, cycling down to erect the light full moon Minotaur: once the son of King Minos called Asterion – the ruler of the stars.
The light full moon Minotaur talisman made of stainless steel represents the human characteristics of the creature. The black moon Minotaur talisman made of dark DLC coated stainless steel represents the animal side. Both talismans have a total of 148 different facets in each. The Greek key, a classic ornament surrounding the black DLC coated dial with Roman numerals and a labyrinthine structure derives many meanings in Greek art and architecture. The ornament is believed to be the simplified symbol of the labyrinth, some say its a sign of eternity. In the dial the meander really cycles as the time goes by.
The profile of the bezel and the dial design remind of about the ancient architecture of the Greco-roman era. The Light Edition of 5 pieces comes with two Minotaur moon phase talismans in the dial side; an additional talisman is in free-rotation at the middle of the labyrinthine rotor in an open case back coated with clear sapphire glass. The light Minotaur comes with a matte black strap of genuine alligator leather.
The subtle sign of watchmaker Rönkkö is engraved straight inside the sapphire crystal with high definition. The silent signature of the maker is only visible in certain angles.
“You will own my timepiece because of the creation itself, not because of the name on the dial.”
Each of the 5 exclusive handmade pieces of the light Minotaur retails for 17 400 euros, excluding VAT.
MINOTAUR – Dual Moon Complication
Light Edition of 5
• In-house Dual Moon Complication indicating the full moon and the black moon with hours and minutes
• Customised Swiss Soprod A10 movement
• Automatic wind
• 42 h power reserve
• 28 800 vibrations per hour (4 Hz)
• 25 jewels
• Movement diameter 25,6 mm
• Black DLC coated Minotaur talisman in free-rotation at the middle of the labyrinthine rotor
(rotor mass: 18 kt white gold) in an open case back
• Finishing of the movement: bottom side circular graining (perlage)
• Minotaur case design – diameter 42 mm and height 11.75 mm
• Hand finished stainless steel 316L case
with satin finished surfaces and polished edges
• Dial side and back side straight sapphire crystal (with anti reflexive coating underside of crystal)
• Stainless steel crown with Rönkkö ® -signage
• Water-resistant to 3 ATM
• Roman skeleton index with precise hours and minutes
• Rotating ornamental labyrinthine moon calendar with two Minotaur moon phase talismans
• Light full moon Minotaur talisman made of stainless steel
• Dark black moon Minotaur talisman made of dark DLC coated stainless steel
• Hands made from stainless steel
• Stainless steel buckle with mirror polished surfaces
MAKE AN INQUIRY